About Macculloch Hall Historical Museum
Located in the heart of Morristown’s National Historic District, Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is an 1810 house with period rooms, exhibit galleries and historic gardens, featuring a large collection of original artwork by 19th century caricaturist Thomas Nast. George Macculloch, a Scotsman born in Bombay, immigrated to America from London with his wife and two children in 1806. Settling in Morristown in 1810, Macculloch built a Federal-style brick mansion on a 26-acre gentleman’s farm. A businessman, scholar, and visionary, Macculloch is best known as the “father” of the Morris Canal, an international engineering marvel. Generations of the Macculloch family influenced education, economics, politics and cultural events of their day.
The “Old House,” as it was known to Macculloch’s descendants, was acquired by Morristown philanthropist W. Parsons Todd in 1949 to house his collections.
Today, the museum is renowned for its major collection of works by America’s leading 19th century political cartoonist, Thomas Nast, who lived across the avenue. Nast is known for popularizing the Republican Elephant, Democratic Donkey, and America’s image of Santa Claus.
An oasis within walking distance of the business district, the museum’s garden has many original plantings and landscape features, and displays seasonal blooms including numerous varieties of heirloom roses. The Garden Club of Morristown worked with Mr. Todd to revive the historic landscape in the 1950s, and still assists with its upkeep.
The museum’s three exhibit galleries complement ten period rooms furnished with fine English and American decorative arts. The museum offers a diverse schedule of changing exhibits, educational and public programs attended by thousands of visitors from throughout the United States.